Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I'm Free!

I've been having a great time at home. It was fun last week catching up with my friend, Keeley, who I hadn't seen in over a year. We still know how to have fun together and try our best to stay out of trouble. No, really. The only time we've ever gotten in trouble together is when we made marshmallow cream with our hands and actual marshmallows and got it all over eachother. We were 20. Haha.

Anyway, this visit has been amazing. I couldn't have asked for better closure to this chapter in my life as well as some past chapters. An answer to prayer is that my ties to this town are slowly dwindling. People move on, and just about all I have left here is my parents and somewhat of a painful past. Part of this realization came to me yesterday. I was thinking about running into the guy that I dated my senior year in high school and first semester and a half of college in the street the other day. He's now in Canada getting married this weekend. I pray the Lord's blessings on his marriage. My point is that where I was nervous about seeing him at all, for fear of what might make me wish for my past, I should not have been nervous at all. The Lord took away all feelings for him more than friendship, acquaintance, even...brotherly love. I was surprised that I was fine after talking to him for five minutes. So my painful past is gone. I have no desire to return to it. There was no feeling there apart from what I said before. Praise God.

My freshman year, I did Breaking Free with Amanda and some other college girls in our church. That study, along with clarification from God on His calling on my life is what led me to end the relationship. But I can't say that I was ever free from it until now. I can honestly say that now more than three years later, I've finally broken free from that past. God has been so good to me.

And all this has come to me at a time when people around me, friends, are hurting from broken relationships. I'm thankful that the Lord has kept me from heartache this whole time, and pray that He continues to do so.

Thank you, Lord, for being so Good to me.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Amen, sister! I love you!

Gilda said...

Wohoo! I'm so glad to hear such wonderful news!
I love you and I'm glad the ties from the past are finally breaking you free!!