Monday, July 14, 2008

The End of the Earth and then a Little Farther

This weekend I decided to go visit with a family that my parents have worked with for about 15 years. They live in the city that we lived in part time while we also lived in the village. I went with them to the village they have served in, which is not far from our village. Hence the title of this post..."the end of the earth and then a little farther" is how those of us who have been out there describe how you get there. I hope that makes sense.

The road to get to these parts of Guatemala used to be dirt. Now they are paved. But the people are still the same. Significant differences are that there are more concrete houses on this road than there used to be. It used to all be adobe houses...sparsely spaced some with kilometers in between. Now there are cement houses every few hundred meters. This is the result of family members going to the States and sending back money for their homes to be built.

I will confess, I almost cried on this road this weekend just wondering how the little girl that grew up in that part of the world became the young lady I am today headed to somewhere completely different. I'm thankful for that piece of history in my life simply because it is so unique. I really am in awe of the childhood I had...but thankful for where the Lord has brought me.

Here are a few pictures...check them out for yourself...

Western Guatemala Country Side....a.k.a. the End of the Earth...

...And then some. The sign pointing to the turnoff to "my" village.

Tajumulco Volcano...my village is in the valley on the skirts of this volcano down the right side of it. The top of this volcano is also the highest point in Central America. One of my dreams is to climb it. Maybe one day I will climb "my" mountain.

Well, that's all for now. Maybe later I'll post a little bit about my Sunday morning experience at a Guatemalan Country QuinceaƱera party.

1 comments:

Amanda said...

It's just beautiful!