Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving and generational blessings

Psalm 100

1Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
2Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.
3Know that the LORD is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.

4Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.
5For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.

God is so good. I've been thinking a lot recently on my family history. Both of my sets of grandparents were missionaries for many years in South and Central America. My parents are missionaries, and my brother and his wife will eventually probably go to the mission field, as well as myself. These are three generations of missionaries in my family history. I was talking to my grandmother the other day about my brother and myself and my cousins, and she said the thing she's most thankful for in all of her grandchildren that we all love the Lord.

I shared with her tonight before I left to come back to DBU that I believe firmly in the biblical concept of generational curses and blessings, and that I believe it's a blessing that at least three generations in my family have been called to the mission field. She told me that this generational blessing goes back to her great grandfather, who prayed that all of his offspring would be used of God. Wow! What a prayer, and God is so good and faithful to answer that. I only pray that God may find me worthy to be used of Him as well.

I also pray that my future children will be used by God, and that this blessing does not stop with me.

0 comments: