Saturday, June 14, 2008

Another Chapter Ends

Well folks, I did it. Tonight officially marked my last shift at Starbucks.

After working there for more than 3 years (3 years, 1 month and 3 days to be exact), it is quite a relief to know that I no longer have to plan my life around when I have to be at work next. I don't have to go to bed at 10 at the latest on Sunday night in order to be at work on Monday morning at 4:45, and I don't have to say no to friends who want to go bowling because I have to close on Thursday night.

It feels great.

But I will say that part of the reason I stuck with the job for so long is because I really did truly enjoy it. For the most part. I'll call the end of this chapter bittersweet.

It is bitter because there are people who I have made contact with several times a week simply because of my job. Some of them I worked with, and some of them I served. Since I'm a people person, I loved seeing my customers' faces almost every day, and that is one thing I will miss. Knowing snippets of people's lives just because I was one of their neighborhood baristas was awesome. Making someone's day better just by making and serving them their daily treat was even more fun.

It is sweet because the current working environment at my store is less than ideal at this point in time. A recent change in management has brought a whole new dynamic to the workplace, and it is not something that I will miss.

So friends, next time you go to Starbucks, hope that the person on the other side of the counter enjoys their job as much as I did, simply because they are seeing your face and making your drink the way you like it. You might be the highlight of their day.

0 comments: